Sunday, May 4, 2008

Mother's Day!


I know that Mother's Day is next Sunday, but I spent the weekend with my own mommy and realized how much she means to me. Of course I didn't just realize this over the weekend, but thinking about Mother's Day coming up made me want to talk about her. I can remember being a little girl and preparing for her day. I would ask her for some money, she would give me $5, and I would go to the grocery store with my grandma and buy her a card and maybe a flower, if Mac's had any. She loved it, and acted like I could not have done a better job, even though it was her money that I spent. I could ask what she would like to do for Mother's Day, but I know what she would say. She would tell me that she just wanted to see me and Adi.

My mom is my best friend. I know that being a mommy at 17 was not the easiest thing to do, but she did it, and she did it better than anyone else could have. She has always made her children her to priority. She has taught me and my sisters to be loving, caring, hard working individuals.

Saturday evening my baby had the worst tummy ache that she has ever had. I was at my in-laws house, and I was planning on getting up and going home so that I could go to church. We laid Adi down at about 9 and she was asleep for about 30 minutes, and she let out a scream like I had never heard before. I went and got her and soothed her until she fell back to sleep. Ten minutes later, another scream. We gave her a warm bath. We tried peppermint water and bicycled her legs. Nothing was helping. I felt like I was keeping everyone awake, and I felt helpless. We were up and down and up and down until about one. I was frustrated and crying and I wanted MY mom. I called her and she wanted me to come over, because she could hear my helplessness. We went over and I instantly felt more calm. So did Adi somehow. My wonderful mother stayed up with us until about 3 and fell asleep with Adi in her arms. As I looked at them, it was like looking at my mom with me. She was holding me too, and I felt how much she loved me. I know that sounds corny and sappy, but I hope that someday my daughter can look at me and feel that.

1 comment:

Bree Shaw said...

How sweet. It really makes you appreciate your mom.